The Quebec Heart and Lung Institute Research Centre is the only centre funded by the Fonds de recherche du Québec – Santé (FRQS) that regroups three research components (cardiology, respirology and obesity-metabolism) deemed to be a priority because of the considerable economic and social impact of their related diseases.
Our centre’s research themes are central to global health priorities and a major strategic force for halting the progress of non-communicable chronic diseases and their devastating effects. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), non-communicable chronic diseases (cardiovascular diseases, respiratory diseases, diabetes and cancer) are responsible for 63% of deaths worldwide. Obesity, which has reached global epidemic proportions, is one of the greatest risk factors for these diseases.
Our centre is unique in that our research components perfectly complement the Institute’s clinical missions. This enables health professionals and researchers to work in total synergy to the greatest benefit of patients. This synergy turns research findings into better care in harmony with the vision of the FRQS and of the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR).
Our research teams harness this synergy for the integrated study of the metabolic triggers of cardiovascular and lung diseases, as well as to develop innovative and competitive Quebec research in disease prevention and treatment. In addition, our unique research-care paradigm allows us to identify research priorities according to the clinical issues arising from the Institute’s subspecialties.
- 1 leadership in FRQS network
- 16 research chairs
- 177 clinical and basic researchers (69.5 full-time equivalents)
- 524 graduate students, postdoctoral fellows and interns
- 642 scientific publications
- 2 recognized groups by the research commission of Université Laval
- 24 patents for 8 technologies
- 293 invited lectures
- 615 clinical research projects underway
- 602 abstracts of papers
- $30 M of funding in contracts, grants and awards
- 17 000 m2 of lab space for basic and clinical research